African Garden + woodland wildflowers

Beauty & the Barrel

In response to all the interest and questions about my new rainbarrel, here are the details. My Very Indulgent Spouse (VIS) ordered this rainbarrel from Gardener's Supply Company and gave it to me for Christmas.

We had to wait until spring to put it up. As with any rainbarrel, it's best to have it slightly elevated so that it is easier to get a watering can under the spigot near the bottom. This 65-gallon rainbarrel also has a hose with a shut off valve attached to an outlet on the bottom of the rainbarrel. VIS sawed off the downspout and helped me attach the hose. The top of this rainbarrel has a small planter into which I had to drill drainage holes.

I don't think I'll put any plants in there unless it is a succulent, as the planter isn't very deep. I haven't had a chance to try out the spigot or the hose yet, as it's been raining. Often. All that rain has benefited the woodland garden. It is now filled with flowers and foliage.

The native wildflower Dodecatheon media alba (Shooting Star) is in bud.

Next to it, the native Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria) is in full bloom.

I wish it wasn't ephemeral, as it has such wonderful foliage. The other Dicentras have also started blooming. This is 'King of Hearts,'

and this is 'Zestful.'

Neither of these is ephemeral, but instead will bloom throughout the summer.
The last of the Daffodils have bloomed.

Pictured here from left to right are 'Mt. Hood,' 'Stainless,' and 'Honeybird.' Under the Crabapple Tree, which is full of buds, is the latest of all, Narcissus 'La Vie En Rose.'

I hope it fades completely before the Crabapple blooms, as the color of the cup clashes horribly with the pink of the Crabapple flowers.
The pink of the foliage of Polemium reptans 'Stairway to Heaven'

matches the stem of Clematis viticella 'Venosa Violacea.'

Epimedium 'Lilafee'

Some people think them weeds, but I love the little Violets in the lawn.

After all, it's our State Flower.
What is turning out to be a weed is Anemone nemorosa.

A very pretty thing, but it chokes out other plants, and then goes dormant, leaving a large blank space in the border.
Out front, the Flowering Quince (Chaenomeles speciosa unknown) is, well, flowering.

I drastically cut it back early in spring, and I'll be training it into an espalier (hopefully). It was already here when I bought Squirrelhaven, and had become massively overgrown. It's fitting that it is raining as April takes its bow. This has been a very good April here, one of the best. I'm sad to see it go, but there's much to look forward to in May, which Carol considers the best month of the year here in the Midwest.