African Garden + winter

My Magnificent Misplaced Mystery Magnolia

Let's get one thing clear straight away: I didn't do it. I did not plant this tree, it was here when I bought Squirrelhaven. I would never plant any tree under an overhang, and I would never plant a Magnolia so close to a building. Even though it still fit in the space in 1993, I knew it didn't belong there. I intended to move it, until I learned that Magnolias should not be transplanted. So, I was left with a Hobson's choice, leave it, or cut it down. What follows is the evidence supporting my decision to leave it.

I don't know what cultivar of Magnolia stellata or Magnolia kobus var. stellata this is, but it is clearly a superior one. While this year is a spectacular year for Star Magnolias in the Midwest, last year every one was spoiled by browned petals from the April freeze. Every one except this one. It bloomed slightly later than all the others and avoided the damage. I considered propagating it, but I learned that Magnolias are difficult to propagate and very slow growing.

This tree is beautiful in all seasons, from winter's velvety buds, to golden fall foliage, to this:

Watching the buds open is such a delight.

Unlike Carol's Star Magnolia, this one has a scent, albeit an elusive one. Sometimes I can sniff the flowers and smell it, other times there's nothing, but then sometimes its wonderful fragrance is carried on the breeze. The 4-inch flowers have a faint pink stripe down the outside.

Even the fallen petals are beautiful.

So, although this tree is planted in the wrong place, I just can't bring myself to have it cut down. It is my favorite.