African Garden + things

3 For Thursday: Peppers

Beautiful Edibles week continues here at Squirrelhaven with Three for Thursday, which is, according to Cindy, of From My Corner of Katy, a post about any three things. This year I'm growing three different peppers in containers.

The first, and best performer year after year is 'Mucho Nacho' jalapeno pepper.

It's the first to produce fruit and the most resilient plant. I leave the peppers to ripen to red before harvesting, which yields a sweet and hot pepper for a flavor zing in burritos and nachos. It's such a treat, as red, ripened jalapenos are not available in stores.

For the third year in a row, I'm growing a yellow sweet pepper, 'Golden Summer'. I don't know if this is the same cultivar as what I've grown.

It's nearly ready to harvest.

New this year is 'Chocolate Beauty.'

It's just started to show color and is supposed to be harvested when dark purple. The sweet peppers are so late this year because the plants were struggling for quite a while. I don't know what possessed me to put them on the south side of the house instead of on the patio, where I've always grown them. Mary Ann, of Gardens of the Wild, Wild West, suggested that the plants needed a bit of afternoon shade. She was right. The patio has an eastern exposure and the plants have prospered in the afternoon shade. I can't wait to taste them.