African Garden + plants

Fall Foliage Friday
Maianthemum racemosum/Smilacina racemosa

It's two memes in one: I'm a day late for Pam's (Digging) Foliage Followup, and I'm riffing on Dave's (The Home Garden) Fall Color Project,

,
which urges bloggers to capture fall in photos. The Fall Color Project posts will enable a reader to follow autumn's progress southward.

The first sign of autumn at Squirrelhaven this year is the foliage of the Smilacina racemosa, now known as Maianthemum racemosum (above), but they start turning in August if stressed by drought. What really clued me in to the onset of fall was when I noticed the Cornus alternifolia.

Cornus alternifolia starting to turn

The Hydrangea quercifolias (oakleaf hydrangeas):

Hydrangea quercifolia showing some red

'Snow Queen'

chartreuse and red on 'Little Honey'

'Little Honey'

a Geranium hybrid:

There are a few more plants, but I'm having difficulty typing, so this is it for this week.