African Garden + water

The Secret of My Success with Hostas

I've heard the whispers: "How does she do it? How does she get her Hostas to look so good? I wonder what she uses for slug repellent? Maybe she doesn't have any slugs? How does she kill them?" It's time to answer those questions with the simple answer that I don't do anything. I wish I could claim some special gardening skill or technique, but it isn't me, it's the Hostas. I don't use slug repellent, but I have slugs, as this photo of a very slug-mauled Hosta can attest.

So how do I have such good looking Hostas (other than this one)? I try to buy only those that are slug-resistant. That's not a typo, it says slug-resistant, not slug-proof, but any damage to the leaves of slug-resistant varieties is minor. What are these slug-resistant Hostas, you ask? In general, slug-resistant Hostas are those with really thick leaves, or as it is described in the trade, "heavy substance."

('Olive Bailey Langdon')
Those nasty slugs have a hard time chewing through leaves of heavy substance or those with heavy corrugation. Most blue Hostas are slug resistant because of the coating on the leaves which give them their bluish cast.

('Krossa Regal")
Here is a list of some slug-resistant Hostas. Some of my slug-resistant cultivars are not on this list, such as 'Winfield Gold'

and 'Maui Buttercups.'

Sometimes the plant tag will state that a particular cultivar is slug resistant, or a nursery's catalogue will provide that information. If there is no such information available, do the touch test: if the leaves feel thick or bumpy with corrugation (as shown in the photo of 'Maui Buttercups'), chances are good that it is slug-resistant.
Sports of slug-resistant Hostas usually are also slug resistant,

such as these Hosta 'Halycon' and its sport 'June.'

(Yes, Hostas make good container plants. I put this 'June' in a container because I had to move one, and there was no readily available space. Container growing is also good if the garden's soil is too dry for Hostas. Surprisingly, well-established Hostas are drought resistant. During the terrible drought of 2005, when all watering was banned, I didn't lose a single plant, and my soil is not known for its moisture-retentive ability. On the contrary, my soil is very well drained.) "The Color Encyclopedia of Hostas" by Diana Grenfell lists which plant a particular cultivar is a sport of in its description.
I'm a firm believer in finding the path of least resistance. Why bother to fight against slugs if you can have beautiful Hostas that aren't bothered by them?