African Garden + time

The Truth About Rozanne

(Geranium 'Rozanne' in July with Lobelia foliage.)
In this installment of posts where I tell it like it is in my garden, I take on the award-winning and much beloved Geranium 'Rozanne.' Most gardeners are familiar with this plant and have heard the rave reviews it has received for its incredibly long bloom time. Here at Squirrelhaven, 'Rozanne' has lived up to that reputation by blooming continuously from mid-June to mid-November, and it does so in partial shade. So why then, when my mom asked me to get her this plant, did I say no?
It has to do with style, garden style and personal style. My garden is a semi-wild anarchic thing, with plants rambunctiously slugging it out with their neighbors. My mom likes a neat, tidy garden, where things stay where they are planted. 'Rozanne' is not suited for such a garden, because she has a dirty little secret. She's a sprawler.
There's nothing lady-like about 'Rozanne.' She likes to let it all hang out and won't be confined in a tight little bun, much less a corset.

('Rozanne' in September with Anemone 'Andrea Atkinson.')

She also likes to climb.

I swear I didn't stage this photo of 'Rozanne' scaling the Oakleaf Hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia). It just did this on its own.
Now this growing habit is not necessarily a bad thing. I like the way 'Rozanne' weaves in and out of other plants. It provides for some beautiful effects.

('Rozanne' with Cornus alternifolia 'Stackman' (Golden Shadows).)

Rozanne' is also great for filling in the empty spaces left by spring-blooming bulbs. But it's definitely not for everyone or every garden. I'll be looking into neater growing, long-blooming Geraniums for my mom's garden. But 'Rozanne' is great with me. Maybe it's because we're so much alike.