African Garden + winter interest

Happy Box-ing Day

I can't resist a good pun, and this is nothing like a good pun. I don't know what Box cultivar this is. I transplanted this as a seedling from the hedge out front that was here I when I bought Squirrelhaven. As the Woodland Garden is naturalistic, I do not shape it into the traditional Box ball.Here's an evergreen vignette

that provides winter interest when there is no snow. Pictured are what I believe is a Colorado Blue Spruce, Picea pungens (too big for growing under the power lines), a couple of Helleborus x orientalis cultivars with Heucherella 'Burnished Bronze' in front.

Just in time for Christmas, the snow melted to reveal the Christmas fern (Polystichum acrostichoides). Also visible, but not living up to its name, is the Christmas Rose (Helleborus niger) in bud.

The buds of H. niger always tease, looking as if they'll open in just a few days. Every year they just sit there sulking until about March, when they finally burst into bloom. The melting of the snow also revealed the foliage of Aquilegia vulgaris 'Woodside Strain.'

It always amazes me how a couple of days of above-freezing temperatures can make such a difference in the garden.

I can't imagine where Ladybugs go when there's a foot of snow on the ground. (Yes, it's alive.)

As if to make up for its complete lack of blooming last spring, the Witchhazel (Hammamelis 'Sunburst') is already showing color in its buds, coaxed nearly into bloom by the recent warmth. Don't worry, Sunburst, all is forgiven.(My apologies for the differences in script style and size on the photos. I'm still trying to get used to the text function on my photo editor.)