African Garden + winter

Too Much Christmas Redux

It's happened again, I got finagled into doing a 3-day Christmas marathon. I swear, never again. I'm tired, queasy and ready to hide in bed all day, but there's laundry to do, house to clean, and kids to feed and entertain. (I could be a bad mother, and allow them to sequester themselves in their rooms all day with their new electronic games, but I won't.)

I'm still waiting for the birds to discover my new heated birdbath.

I can't have feeders because the squirrels pull them down and tear them apart, but I'm hoping the birdbath will bring the little feathered visitors within camera range. As is evident from the photo, we got over three inches of snow on Christmas. I'd appreciate it more if the weather would let me keep it. It's supposed to get into the 40s and rain on New Year's Eve.

So while I'm waiting for the birds to show up, I'll be delving into a book a should I have read a long time ago, Amy Stewart's "Wicked Plants." I couldn't resist peeking at it just after I opened it, and it's already sucked me in. I hope everyone finds the time this week between Christmas and New Year's to curl up with a good gardening book and dream winter garden dreams.