African Garden + wildflowers

Wildflower Wednesday: Emergence

I love this time of year, when every day in the garden is a new adventure, when it seems I step into a different garden every day. Yesterday, there was nothing but soil and mulch there. Today, I can see the emerging leaves, and tomorrow there might be a bud. Despite the vagaries of the weather, the little native wildflowers do their thing pretty much on schedule.
In addition to the Sanguinaria candensis shown above, the other woodland wildflowers sprouting in my garden include: my favorite, Thalictrum/Anemonella thalictroides 'Rosea',

and the freaky celadine poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum.

Both the Ziza aurea

and the Geum triflorum are semi-evergreen but are now putting on new growth.

Soon the prairie smoke will be in bloom.

Even sooner, the sharped-leaved hepatica (Hepatica nobilis var. acuta) will be in bloom.

It's always the first of the native wildflowers to bloom. I cut back the old leaves so that the blooms can been seen to their best advantage.

Wildflower Wednesday is hosted by Gail at Clay and Limestone. Visit her to learn about more wonderful wildflowers.