African Garden + wildflower wednesday

Early July Wildflower Wednesday
Echinacea purpurea

Just a short post today, as I wrap things up around here in advance of my trip to Seattle to fling with other garden bloggers. I figured I may as well post this now, as I doubt I'll have time to get a post ready when I get back. Besides, I'll be wanting to download and edit the gajillion photos I'll have taken.

Liatris spicata

I'm making up a list for my Very Indulgent Spouse (VIS) of plants to water in my absence. I think I'm going to use left over flags from the last time the utility companies marked the lines here to indicate which plants in the garden need the water the most. The greatest chance of rain will be only 50% on Sunday. The forecasted highs for the next two days are over 100F. As you can see from the above photo, the front lawn is brown and crunchy. Despite the heat and dryness, the coneflowers and Liatris just do their thing as usual.

In the woodland garden, one wildflower is starting to bloom.

Aralia racemosa

The berries of spikenard are much more showy than the blooms. The black cohosh (Actaea racemosa a/k/a Cimicifuga racemosa) should be starting to bloom by the time I get back.

After last week's craziness of no electricity or WiFi for days, I am in sore need of a vacation. As such, I will be maintaining blog silence during that time. See you on the flip side, and stay cool!

For other Wildflower Wednesday posts, visit Gail next Wednesday at Clay and Limestone.