African Garden + plants

Days of Labor

It's sad, but true. The mulch pile is still on the driveway. This must be a new record. It must will be removed before the snow flies. Next spring, please slap me with a fish if I consider ordering 4 yards again. Not that I couldn't use it, it's just that I ended up having to do nearly all of it alone this year. (My Very Indulgent Spouse has finally had it (and understandably so) with my mulching micro-managing and will be referred to henceforth with the sobriquet "Cycling Man.") The other problem was the drought and heat, as there's no point in mulching when the ground has turned to cement. I recall from my undergraduate studies that archaeologists often find ancient brick walls of lost civilizations, and what is brick but clay and straw baked hard.

But I digress. The point is, the three-day long weekend with cooler temperatures and a possibility of rain means that gardening chores may be undertaken with gusto. In addition to the mulching, the fallen tree must be addressed.

Becoming the Greenwoman and friends

(Dear fallen tree, please remove yourself from the premises forthwith.) Navigating a path to the compost bins remains treacherous and taking photos of Tricyrtis 'Tojen' is impossible. Cycling Man's assistance will be required to relocate the logs, as they are too big and heavy for me to maneuver alone.

At some point this fall, I hope to finish expanding the driveway beds and moving the plants in them a bit farther apart to give them breathing room. Only then will I start in on the bulb planting.

What projects do you have planned for this fall?

Have a great weekend, everyone.