African Garden + wildflowers

Pinched "Asters"
Symphyotrichum laeve 'Bluebird' today

The penny has finally dropped. I noticed last year that my ex-asters, Symphyotrichum novae angliae and Symphyotrichum laeve, started blooming later than they used to and later than other ex-asters in the area. I noticed the same phenomenon this year, but now I have the answer. It is, you guessed it, that I started pinching, or cutting back, my plants last year. I hadn't intended to do so for the smooth blue ex-aster, Symphyotrichum laeve 'Bluebird', but the deer did some pruning and they made a bad job of it, which I had to fix up. The result, obvious when you think on it, is delayed blooms.

Several chomps were also taken out of the New England ex-asters, but mostly I went a little pruner-happy on them.

Symphyotrichum novae angliae 'Hella Lacey' yesterday

(The S. novae angliae out back, where the deer do not roam, started two weeks ago.) Next year, a few stems at the very back of each plant will be left unpruned. Unless the deer get there first.

Visit Gail of Clay and Limestone for all the Wildflower Wednesday posts.