African Garden + water

Adventures with Indoor Plants: Confessions of a Chronic Underwaterer

People are often surprised at my reluctance to grow houseplants. They see things thriving in the garden and assume that I have a green thumb, that houseplants should flourish under my care. Sadly, here is photographic proof of how misguided that notion is. More sensitive viewers may wish to avert their eyes.

This is what I found the other day when I happened to glance over at the Primula I so recently made such a fuss over. The sorry truth is that I forgot to water it. I would love to say that I was shocked that this could have happened, that it was a strange aberration that I would forget to water a plant. I would also love to say that I've written a bestseller and drive a Lamborghini, but I'd be lying. Despite the appearance that the Primula had moved on to a better place, I watered it. Making the most dramatic recovery since William Shatner,

the plant revived completely within 24 hours. I'll take full credit for it.

Things have gone more smoothly with the forced bulbs.

This Hyacinth is a bulb kit I picked up at the grocery store. It was pretty much a no-brainer and hopefully will be blooming for the 15th. I prefer Hyacinths indoors, as their fragrance is so welcome, and I find they look awkward in the garden.

I potted up these 'Lydia' Tulips last fall and stored them in a cabinet in the garage.

Last week they had sprouted and were ready to come inside. Already I can see the buds starting to swell. It won't be long now before there are beautiful Tulip blooms. I wish all indoor plants were this easy.