African Garden + winter interest

Color in the Midwestern Winter Garden is Not an Oxymoron

I've been inspired by Pam at Digging and Dee at Red Dirt Ramblings both of whom have recently posted about finding color in their Winter gardens. So I took the opportunity of a complete lack of snow to see if I could find any color in this Midwestern garden. Obviously, I was successful, otherwise this would be a very short post.
Apropos of my cynical nature, the first thing my camera and eye lighted on was this unwelcome sight

Garlic Mustard! (I had already noticed it the other day, but I was busy with a project and didn't have time to eradicate it.) I hadn't seen it during the summer and autumn because it was hidden by Forsythia branches and leaves. I can happily report that this is one weed that no longer inhabits my garden.
Nearby is the semi-evergreen foliage of Hepatica americana (pictured at the top of the post), which I understand has been renamed as part of Hepatica nobilis. This is a smaller plant than H. acutiloba, which is in another part of the garden. H. americana's leaves have better winter color, more green and red than the dark burgundy of H. acutiloba.
Scattered throughout the garden are variegated and yellow-foliaged Aquilegia vulgaris seen here with Astible 'Visions' and some creepy Hosta foliage.

Okay, so I'm slightly obsessed with these Columbines. It's not like it's a problem; I can quit collecting and growing them any time I want. Really. But why would I want to, when they have such great foliage that stands out in the winter garden, in addition to such charming, short-spurred flowers. In the background of the photo is visible Lamium maculatum. It still looks good and adds a fresh green to the garden.

The Hellebores are putting out new leaves and even some buds. But these Helleborus x orientalis won't bloom until March, regardless of the weather.
The winter foliage of Tiarella 'Iron Butterfly' has so many colors.

It ranges from green, through yellow, orange and into red. That's the ubiquitous Lamium maculatum on the right. I think it might need to be reined in this Spring.

Also providing a range of colors is Heucherella 'Sunspot.' It just amazes me how great Heucherellas, Tiarellas and Heucheras look all Winter and change colors so dramatically.

Stylophorum Diphyllum, the Celadine Poppy, has already sent up new leaves.

If it snows before the weather becomes bitterly cold, these leaves will be fine. If not, they will turn an amazing shade of black. No problem anyway, as the plant will just send up more leaves later.

Finally, one very confused Polemium reptans 'Stairway to Heaven.'

I can only hope this plant will not be die when the cold returns.