African Garden + water

Under the Sea: a Lazy Gardener's Dream

It's a good day for indoor dreaming, with temperatures in the single digits Fahrenheit. Today, I'm dreaming about warm oceans, sandy beaches and squid, with the help of my new blue Hyacinth vase and a stinky Paperwhite Narcissus. (Or maybe it's just because I saw "Avatar" last night.)

Dare I use the term "fool-proof"? Paperwhite Narcissus really are that. I was at the garden center a month ago, shopping for containers when I spied Hyacinth glasses for sale. I had to buy one, but I had nothing to put in it, as I had already potted up my single Hyacinth for forcing. Then I spotted Paperwhites on sale. Ding, went my little brain, cha-ching went the cash register, and I found myself growing Paperwhites again for the first time in nearly 20 years. I haven't grown them because I really hate the smell of 'Ziva,' the most commonly available one, but I tarried and dallied and didn't order one of the good Paperwhites that have a more pleasant scent, as recommended by the Blogging Bulb Queen Elizabeth at Gardening While Intoxicated.

I got some glass pebbles I had lying around the house, put them in the bottom of the Hyacinth vase, filled it up with water so that the water was just barely touching the bottom of the Paperwhite bulb and walked away. About two weeks ago, I noticed that roots were starting to form, which then snaked their way down into the vase. Once the bulb started sending up shoots, I gave the vase a turn every day to keep the plant growing straight.

I think I like the roots even better than the flowers.

Have you tried Paperwhites? Do you like them?