African Garden + winter

Winter Games

" Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused." Elvis Costello, "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes"

We've had so much snow here in Chicagoland, that it is laughable. I have to laugh about it, or I'll cry. So, in the spirit of trying to look on the bright side, it's time for The Games.

Game #1 - Count the Shrubs
How many shrubs are in this picture?

(The snow at the right is piled up about 5 feet high.)
With just the tips of the branches sticking out, you'd think there is only this Physocarpus opulifolius 'Monlo' (Diabolo), but of course, you'd be wrong. See the little Cotinus coggyria 'Ancot' (Golden Spirit) in front of it? Of course you don't! It's buried under the snow. At least it was the last time I saw it, about a month ago. Granted, it is still a small young plant that I planted last summer, but, come on, I wrapped chickenwire around it, increasing its height to nearly 3 feet. It is slightly downhill from the Physocarpus and closer to the driveway, but still, it's completely buried.

Game #2 - Spot the Dogwood

Can you find the Cornus Kousa in this picture?

It is still a sapling, about 3 feet high and was planted about 2 years ago. Hint - look for the little bit of twig sticking out of the snow.

Yes there it is. Now, wasn't that fun? At least I feel better about it.

According to Tom Skilling, Chicago meteorologist par excellance, we haven't had this much snowfall in a winter since the 1978-79 season - the year with the infamous "Blizzard of '79" that caused the Chicago political machine to lose control of the mayor's office and resulted in the election of Chicago's first female mayor, Jane Byrne. I think that puts it all in perspective.