African Garden + witch hazel

Witch Hazel Begins
Hamamelis 'Sunburst'

I had a delightful surprise yesterday afternoon; my witch hazel started blooming. While this plant has bloomed in February occasionally, it has never bloomed this early. Last year it had a pathetic performance of one bloom on March 31. I'm really looking forward to a good show this year. (I hope that doesn't jinx it.) The last time it bloomed well was in 2010.

It's just amazing how quickly the strap-like petals unfurl like streamers of silk. The photo below was taken an hour earlier than the above photo.

The difference is most marked in the two outside bud clusters.

'Sunburst' is a lovely shrub. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a scent that I can detect, and I have a very good nose. It's a treat to find such vibrant color on display in the midst of the winter garden.