African Garden + Weather

Don't Blink...


or you'll miss them.
While not as dire as The Doctor's admonition about the Weeping Angels, and slightly exaggerated, the warning is nonetheless valid. The spring bloomers have been remarkably ephemeral throughout the country this year owing to the unseasonable warm weather. See, for example, Digging (Texas), A Study in Contrasts (Ohio), Fairegarden (Tennessee), Blithewold (Rhode Island).
Here at Squirrelhaven, the 'Purple King' Dogtooth Violets are but a memory,

Erythronium dens canis on April 5, 2010
the Pulsatilla vulgaris is fading,

the Hepatica nobilis var. acuta are nearly done

and the blooms of Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) last barely more than a day.

I missed a small clump blooming under the Yew.

I wish I could stop time and revel in the glory that is April, my favorite month of the year.

Caulophyllum thalictroides, the native Blue Cohosh

the native trout lily, Erythronium albidum
Soon the Dicentras, Trilliums and shooting stars will make me forget about the blooms gone by. In the meantime, I intend to pay close attention. What's making a brief appearance in your garden?