African Garden + Tulipa clusiana 'Peppermint Stick'

My Sweet Lady Jane -- NOT

Have you ever had one of those moments where you're looking at pictures in a magazine or catalogue or reading a blog and you suddenly wonder why you never appreciated a certain plant before? I had one of those when I was reading a post by Jenny of Rock Rose in which she posted photos of her clusiana tulips. I had seen pictures of it before, but these somehow struck me, and I knew I had to have them. Instead of the straight species, I planted Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane' 'Peppermint Stick'. And now, I'm enjoying the payoff.

'Lady Jane' 'Peppermint Stick' isn't stiff and upright. She twists and sprawls in a charmingly casual style.

'Lady Jane' 'Peppermint Stick' has a mercurial character, looking mostly red when closed.

But on blooming, the petals open wide

photos taken one half hour apart

then wider and start to reflex, showing the inside white with a red violet heart.

Unpretentious, small and utterly charming, I am smitten.

Edited April 20, 2012 3:45 p.m.
My mistake. I could have sworn that I ordered 'Lady Jane', but I just looked at the tag, which says 'Peppermint Stick'. In my defense, I plead a nasty cold verging on bronchitis resulting in sleep deprivation. I apologize for the error.