African Garden + work

Spring Slightly Delayed Bloom Day - April 2008

Just in time for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, this Hepatica nobilis var. obtusa (f/k/a Hepatica americana) opened one flower. It is not as floriferous as this Hepatica nobilis var. acuta (H. acutiloba),

but it makes up for it with its blue petals.
Things are way behind schedule this year, with only one Daffodil in bloom so far. This is a dwarf I transplanted to my daughter's area of the garden.

If I hadn't moved it, I could identify it. It is either Narcissus 'Little Beauty' or N. 'February Silver' (named by someone who obviously has never been in Chicagoland in February). This is the first time in the 14 Aprils that I've lived here that my Magnolia kobus var. stellata and the Forsythia have not been in bloom by now. I hate to make a prediction (the one about still having snow in April came true), but I'm afraid what's going to happen is that everything will come into bloom at once, then the temperature will soar to 85 degrees and I'll end up with a lot of brown mush. I hope I'm wrong.
Only a couple of Galanthus and Crocus blooms remain, but the Scilla sibirica has started blooming.

All the Hellebores are either in bud or in full bloom:

(Helleborus niger )

This is Helleborus x hybridus 'Red Mountain' and a mystery white that was supposed to be 'Red Mountain.' This is what 'Red Mountain' looks like inside:

This seedling pink Hellebore is a keeper.

For some unknown reason, Hellebores grow easily and very well here at Squirrelhaven.

In the sunny garden of prairie plants, Geum triflorum (Prairie Smoke) is in bud.

But its flowers are nothing special; the real attraction with this plant are the showy seedheads that give the plant its common name. Last and least in size is this surprise:

the Labrador Violet. The other plants that are still in bloom but past their peak are Hammamelis 'Sunburst' and Eranthis hyemalis. Bloom Day is falling at a bad point for my garden because all my Sanguiaria and Erythroniums will have bloomed and faded by May 15. Their very short flowering time makes them even more treasured in the garden of Spring delights.

For a list of and links to all the Bloom Day posts use google to go to May Dreams Gardens. Thanks Carol for all the hard work!