African Garden + time

A Visit to Rich's Foxwillow Pines

I had to be in Crystal Lake last week, so I figured I might as well head over to Rich's Foxwillow Pines, in Woodstock, to see if I could catch the Magnolia grandiflora in bloom. I was in luck.

I don't know how they do it, but not only do they keep this huge tree alive, they also get it to bloom. This tree is not supposed to be hardy so close to the Wisconsin border and away from Lake Michigan. Good thing the tree doesn't know that. Here's another photo with my hand as a reference for the size of the bloom.

It's not called "grandiflora" for nothing.
(I apologize for the quality of some of the following photos, but I was there at midday in the sunshine.)
Even if the Magnolia had not been in bloom, the trip still would have been worth it. The display garden is such an inspiration.

(I think I really need some kind of Purple Beech.) Most of the trees here are field grown and waiting to be dug.

The conifer on the right in this photo had a price tag on it, indicating that it was available for purchase. The assortment of conifers is staggering, from the large to the small,

many of them unusual.

The abundance of Japanese Maples causes me to question my reluctance to try growing one.

In between the trees are perennials, such as this Tree Peony.

It looked like it would be in bloom this week, but even without blooms, it's a beautiful plant.

There are also container and balled and burlapped plants available. The tour group shown in the photo was from a local garden club.

I wish I had more time that day. There are so many interesting plants to see.
It's been such a busy time both in and out of the garden. I've gotten behind on blog visiting, commenting, and posting. Cloudy May weather means planting, so lots of that and plant division have occupied my time. There are still so many spring garden tasks that need to be completed, yet summer is right around the corner.
During this last round of planting, I finally got around to the Tiarella 'Pink Brushes' I bought at the Morton Arboretum plant sale. This is why I always bare root my potted plants.

Instead of one big plant, there were two little plants in the big one gallon pot. That's fine, as I was having trouble choosing between two spots to plant it. Now I can put it in both places. (edit. 2/09 Rich & Sue at Rich's have advised me that the Magnolia is actually Magnolia tripetala.)