African Garden + Weather

An Unexpected Visitor

Unlike the guests who will be visiting Squirrelhaven in less than two weeks, yesterday's guest showed up unannounced and without calling ahead for directions. I was heading through the garden to go out the gate when movement caught the corner of my eye. It was large and striped. When I looked, I saw a Cooper's Hawk in the garden.

This isn't the first time I've seen one around here, but it is the first time I've been this close to one. High in the trees, the birds continuously screeched warnings until the hawk left. I hope this welcome visitor returns soon. This morning marks the latest frost since 2002, the low of 31 F on that year's May 21 marked the latest date it had ever gotten that cold. The latest frost since I've lived in this house was May 30, 1996. So, while unusual, this light, patchy frost is not unprecedented. It's too early to determine whether there has been any damage. I'm not going to worry about it, but I'm glad I haven't gone yet to get my pepper plants.