African Garden + shrubs

By Request - The White Chaenomeles

Frances asked for it, so here it is, one of the many Badly-sited Plants that Came With the House (BPCWH). (Pardon the unsightly fence that desperately needs replacing.) While it is not clear from this photo, there is a stepping stone path between the Quince and three overgrown Barberries, a sensation not entirely unlike that of a pincushion. I wish whoever planted it had given some thought to its location and tried to espalier it. It's probably too late for that, so every year I put on my thickest gloves and a denim jacket & cut it back. Not the ideal situation, but we have enough other overgrown BPCWHs that need removal. Besides, it's hard to get rid of it when it flowers like this.

On an entirely unrelated note, I fear that my beloved Tree Peony will not bloom this year. I was prepared for the first night of frost in late April and I covered all the buds, but the next night's frost was not forecasted, so I had no warning. This is what it looked like last year.

It's not that the buds are blackened, just that there's been no growth on them since that night. I'm not optimistic.