African Garden + winter

End of the Month View -May '10

Wisteria macrostachys 'Blue Moon'
Because I missed last month's end of the month garden views, I've decided to do a comparison post with similar scenes from the end of April and the end of May.

We'll start at the street.

The Physocarpus 'Monlo' (Diablo™) is just coming out of bloom, while Rose 'Carefree Beauty' is in full bloom.

Moving up the driveway:

We got the fountain up and running.

The containers which were empty and out front in April are now filled with plants and in their summer positions.

That's a Primula japonica blooming in the container. I'm tickled that it made it through the winter in the ground and bloomed in the container.
Here's the view from the other direction:

Looking down the path.

Halfway down the path, looking back:

I would have liked to have oriented the camera the same way for both, but the mosquitoes are so bad now, I'll take what I can get for a shot.
Out of the woodland garden, the Hellebore bed.

The southeast corner with the old reliable Peony, which I have tentatively identified as 'Mons. Jules Elie.'

Some people call it the Memorial Day Peony because it always seems to be in bloom on Memorial Day, regardless of the weather.
The view from behind the Peony.

Sorry it's so shadowy, but I can only take it for so long at dawn before the mosquitoes chase me in. Clematis 'Blue Fairy' (Crystal Fountain™) was fantastic this year in its first flush.
The view from above back towards the woodland garden:

The plant in the white pot is a purple-leaved cabbage.
And finally, the view from the patio:

Clematis 'Betty Corning' is growing like a jungle vine this year.

Thanks goes to Helen, the Patient Gardener, for suggesting posting photos of garden views at the end of every month.