African Garden + work

Letter from A Distracted Mind

Gentle readers,I must apologize for my current inability to devote time to reading and commenting on blogs, or even posting to my own blog. Aside from the usual busyness of May, I am preparing for the visit of a bunch of SOGIs (Someone of Garden Importance) at the end of this month.

My garden has never been part of any tour or been visited by any SOGI. It's also a work in progress, with emphasis on "work" rather than "progress." Yes, the last of the Green Mustache is finally gone, but I had to apply foundation sealer higher up to facilitate drainage and conceal the ugly concrete.

Now, I'm in the process of regrading the area before I can plant the things waiting to go into this area. I also have a mowing strip that needs to be installed, and I've suddenly and inexplicably been possessed by the urge to rearrange plants in the garden.

There's still a pile of mulch on the driveway, but it is much smaller now. Did I also mention that I've been ripping out all the Lamium maculatum? Then there are those veggies that need planting. And the containers. And all those impulse purchases I made the last couple of weeks. And I've got a plant order coming, but I can't remember what I ordered. Well, I sort of can, but I'm not sure. (What happened to my record keeping?) And it's all so beautiful outside now,

with the Crabapples in bloom, and the wildflowers.

I need to contact John Waters and find out how he made those "Odorama" cards for "Pink Flamingos." The garden smells so wonderful with the scent of the woodland Phlox divaricata.

Wildflowers reminds me that I have to deadhead the Stylophorum diphyllum.

It's a wonderful plant, but it seeds about. I feel as if I'm forgetting something. Oh, I know - weeding! I must get back outside now. I hope you understand.
Yours distractedly,MMD
P.S. Being in much too much of a hurry, I failed to check my facts. Iowa Victory Gardener has informed me that it was "Polyester" not "Pink Flamingos" with the Odorama. (It started with a "P" and starred "Divine," and I've seen it at some point.) I think this proves my point.