African Garden + winter

The Lazarus Plants

These are the plants which seem to be like Lazarus, raised from the dead. Or, to quote Monty Python's "Dead Parrot" sketch, "It's not dead, it's just resting." I thought for sure that the tiny Heucherella 'Sunspot' (on the left) had perished over the winter. The other two plants had sprouted new leaves, but nothing was happening with the third plant. I nearly pulled it out.I almost planted something on top of this Dicentra 'Candy Hearts' when I noticed the merest flicker of life.

The similar Dicentra 'King of Hearts' was already in bloom. This Dicentra struggled all last year, despite the copious rainfall. I decided to move it to a location where it might be happier.When replanting it, I almost stuffed it on top of this Tricyrtis 'Gilty Pleasure.'

Can you blame me for thinking it was dead, after comparing it to its siblings?

I was so convinced that this Heuchera 'Hollywood'

was deceased that I bought two more Heucheras to go with the remaining plant. It looks so pathetic, that I removed it and planted it in a holding bed.I have publicly stated that I lost this plant, Heuchera 'Lime Rickey.'

I hereby retract that statement. Reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated.The most stunning comeback, and also the most surprising and welcome, is that of an Actaea 'Black Negligee.'

It's that little plant with the arrows pointing to it. (Click to enlarge.) The other two Actaeas are to the left and to the back of the photo. This plant was the only one of the three to bloom, back in 2007. Then, last year, there was no sign of it. Not a stem, not a leaf appeared. I feared it had died. Imagine then how shocked I was when I saw the new growth emerging from the earth.I'm so glad I didn't dig up any of these plants before their miraculous appearances. Sometimes, procrastination is a gardener's best friend.Do you have any Lazarus plants? What are they?