African Garden + winter

A Rose in Three Moods

The Rose photography contest at Gardening Gone Wild has given me an excuse to talk about my one and only Rose. I've told story behind my decision to plant a 'Carefree Beauty' Rose here. In short, this Rose has it all: cold hardiness, disease resistance, repeat bloom and a light fragrance. The fragrance doesn't compare to that of the old French Roses, but it is much better than other cold hardy, disease resistant, repeat-blooming shrub Roses. I highly recommend this easy to care for Rose, which received no protection other than snowcover when temperatures plummeted to -18F last winter. There was minimal stem dieback this spring, and now it's a bloom machine.All my photos are closeups, as the garden and the Rose were installed last year, and I'm not finished with it yet, so it doesn't look that good in long shots.
Here is a typical sample of the photos I've been taking of 'Carefree Beauty' this June.

It's not backlit at all, nor are there shadows, because sunlight at dawn and near dusk has been a rare thing around here this June. And yes, that's rain on the foliage.I can't remember if this is dew or rain, but I'd bet on the latter.

Finally, and most surprisingly:

it's backlit!