African Garden + Woody plants

The Year of Blooming Trees & Shrubs
Cladrastis kentukea blooming over Phlox pilosa 'Eco Happy Traveler' and Baptisia 'Purple Smoke'

Well, I couldn't proclaim it "The Year of Blooming Woodies." That would give people the wrong idea. In any event, it seems after last year's disappointment and drought, the woody plants are putting forth a valiant effort to make it up to me, and succeeding. While the yellowwood tree (Cladrastis kentukea above) bloomed very well last year, I was lead to believe that these trees bloom profusely every other year, which would have made this the lame-o year. Au contraire. I wish you could walk my front walk, under the fragrant racemes and just breathe in the perfume from them and the Phlox pilosa. Heavenly.

Across the driveway, Carefree Beauty rose is a blowzy, billowing mess.

Not that I'm complaining. This is the first year it has needed external support. Too bad I won't be offering it. Too many other plants need support more. Instead, I'll be making bouquets.

The Golden Spirit smokebush (Cotinus coggygria 'Ancot') didn't bloom last year because the buds all got zapped by a frost after their premature emergence.

No frost damage this year, and loads of smokey plumes. Continus coggygria 'Nordine' looked dead last year, but has rallied and has a few plumes as well.

Behind the rose, Cornus kousa 'Beni Fuji' is making up for last year's paltry display.

But what's really got me excited (I know, it doesn't take much), is that after I don't know how many years, the dogwood tree Aurora (Cornus x rutgersensis 'Rutban' Aurora™) is blooming for the first time, in the woodland garden.

Yes, it has only four bract-bloom thingys, but it seemed as if it would never bloom.

Just a few weeks ago, I swore to the Chionanthus virginicus across the path that it had a date with a shovel. For too long it has leaned awkwardly and done nothing for the garden but add a smudge of yellow to the autumn palette. Lo and behold, the silly thing decided to bloom for me.

Never underestimate the power of threatening a plant -- Chionanthus virginicus.

This morning I was wandering near this native shrub and suddenly detected a sweet fragrance. I had forgotten that Chionanthus was fragrant. I knew there was a reason I planted it (even though that reason was long forgotten)!

And then there are the ninebarks (both Physocarpus opulifolius 'Monlo' Diabolo™ and blooming for the first time the free trial 'Donna May' Little Devil™) and the fruity-fragrant Calycanthus floridus 'Athens.'

In May, the redbud (Cercis canadensis) put on a fabulous show,

full bloom Cercis canadensis

despite the scale attack of last summer. What it lacked in scent was covered by the crabapple

Malus 'Prairiefire'

and Daphne x burkwoodii 'Silver Edge'.

The white blooms of Daphne x burkwoodii 'Silver Edge' mature to a dusky pink.

I've already rhapsodized about the magnolia. The hydrangeas are looking primed for a good show soon. The only exception that proves the rule was the tree peony. It had only one bloom, but that was my fault. I let the remaining 26 buds get frozen when I willfully and deliberately refused to cover them despite a freeze warning. (Call it a science experiment.)

So, the scientist in me ponders the question of why -- is this floral abundance the response of drought-stressed plants having a last fling at procreation before death? Or is it the plants' response to finally getting the moisture and cooler late spring temperatures that they desire? And is my garden the only one to benefit from this phenomenon?