African Garden + work

From the "Do As I Say, Not As I Do" File

Example Number 1: I'm not a gardening neophyte. I've had Lilies for years. I know better. So why didn't I stake these 'Black Dragon Strain' Trumpet Lilies when they were small? Why did I allow first one, then another to fall over. One of them is so far over it's not visible in that photo. It's not because staking is difficult. Well, it is when it's too late and the plant is already in bloom. But early in the season, staking doesn't take much effort. It only takes as long as shoving the supports into the ground. It could be due to a lack of proper supports. I should buy more. To stake these Lilies, I took the hoop off the Peony. I could have done it right after the last Peony blossom faded. So why didn't I?

Some of the Lily stalks are standing up by themselves. I guess I just hoped they'd all remain upright and too bad about the leaning one. What it really comes down to is that I didn't feel like crawling around behind the Dogwood in June when the mosquitoes were swarming in my face. Lesson learned. I resolve to buy these Lilies their own supports and put them in when they are about a foot tall. Before the mosquitoes make their appearance.

Example Number 2: these are my favorite pruners.

So why are they all rusty? Because I left them out in the rain. I didn't do it on purpose. I was out pruning and pulling weeds after dinner, when I started working on weeds in the lawn. Then VIS and the boy came out and started playing a game with large sticks. Fearing an imminent bonk on the head, I fled to the house, accidentally forgetting the pruners which were lying in the grass next to where I was weeding. The following morning I looked for them all over, but couldn't find them. (The back lawn needs mowing.) Then it rained. I found them the following morning, rusted. This isn't the first time this has happened to these pruners. I set them down, forget about them, and then can't find them later. I need to put day-glo tape on the handles to make them more visible.

It's a good thing I staked those Lilies yesterday morning, because in the afternoon the rain and hail poured down.

It was all too much for the Squirrelhaven toad, who took refuge under a chair out front.

Now the skies are clear, just in time for the big weekend. My fellow Americans, I wish you a happy Independence Day.