African Garden + wildflower wednesday

We Have Poddage
Asclepias purpurascens

The long wait is nearly over. For the first time, the purple milkweed, Asclepias purpurascens is going to produce seed. That is its sole purpose for being in my garden, after all. You see, this isn't just any old milkweed, or even any old Asclepias purpurascens. These three plants are part of the Native Seed Gardeners program, which distributes to local gardeners free plants of the local genotype of wildflowers and grasses. In exchange, the gardeners collect the seeds and give them to the program to be used in local restoration efforts.

An eye-catching display with Mini Moo© cards to raise awareness for the Native Seed Gardeners program.

It's one of those rare win-win situations.
I had been feeling very guilty about the six plants I'd received from the program (three of the Asclepias and three of a Liatris) because my plants hadn't produced seed. I know, don't count your chickens before they hatch, but the Asclepias hadn't even formed pods before this year, despite blooming beautifully. I had been thinking it was me, that I was doing something wrong, which is why I'm so thrilled and relieved.
If you live and garden in Northeastern Illinois, participate in this great native plant program. If not, find a similar program in your area, or start one. It's a great way to help out the environment and all those creatures that depend on it.

This post is part of Gail's Wildflower Wednesday series at Clay and Limestone.