African Garden + work

X-Terminate!

Instead of working on my Garden Bloggers' Book Club post, today finds me on the brink of despair. I've found Hosta Virus X (HVX) on more of my Hostas. Last summer I posted about how my new favorite Hosta, 'Striptease' had developed symptoms and needed to be destroyed. Now, I've found symptoms in the above unnamed Hosta and in my current favorite Hosta, 'Maui Buttercups.' Here is how it looked during happier times. Here's the infected leaf.

See the dark green blotch along the veining? Notice the distortion of the leaf texture? Those are symptoms of this vexing disease. It appears on gold or light colored leaves or parts of leaves. It is thought to be spread by sap via dirty pruners or shovels. Any remaining infected roots can also transmit the virus to a new Hosta planted where a diseased plant was removed. Allegedly, once the diseased roots have decomposed, there's no threat to a new Hosta planted in the same spot. There is no cure for HVX. Removal of diseased plants and proper sanitation are the only means of prevention in other plants.

After last year's discovery of HVX, I was very leery of getting any more Hostas. I decided to order this 'Risky Business' only after assurances that the nursery involved did not have any problems with HVX.

This looks an awful lot like a virus symptom. Fortunately, I got a guarantee with this plant.

But then I start to wonder, am I getting paranoid? Do I see disease in every shading on a leaf? What about this leaf on 'Sweet Home Chicago'?

Is the plant really supposed to look like this?

How about this on 'Olive Baily Langdon'?

I'm going to have to order some HVX ImmunoStrips, which is a rapid test for determining whether a plant is infected with HVX. This may be the only way to save some Hostas and my sanity.

For more information about the disease, please refer to the following articles:


"Hosta Virus X" by Josh Spece


"Hosta Virus X: A new threat to one of our favorite shade perennials" by Terry L. Yockey


"Hosta Virus X" by Megan Kennelly


"Hosta Virus X" Kemper Center Problem Categories