African Garden + winter

Ladies & Gentlemen, We Have A Winner

I'm just tickled that my "On the Road Again" entry in Gardening Gone Wild's Picture This photo contest won the gold. Congratulations to all the winners, and thank you, judge Allan Mandell, for your kind words and appreciation of the idea behind the image. The win completely compensates for the aching back and feet and the sweat I accrued as a result of my walk across the Loop that afternoon. Because I went outside of my comfort zone and heeded some good advice (thank you Mary Ann!), I ended up with something extraordinary.

It's easy to stay in the same old rut, doing the same thing in the same way. Making that detour, slowing down to absorb the experience, can yield great rewards for those willing to give it a try. The same is true in the garden. How do you know that a supposedly tender plant won't survive the winter until you try it?

Colchicum 'The Giant' growing next to an overwintered Oxalis regnellii 'Atropurpurea'

I was afraid to order a hundred Crocuses, until Gail, of Clay and Limestone, encouraged me (she's planting over a thousand this fall).

Crocus tommasinianus April 2010

I cut down an old Forsythia that was too big to be so close to the house.

It's a big change, and a risk, but whatever happens, I'm proud of myself for having the guts to do it, instead of continuing to try to tame it.

On a more personal note, my nephew Philip is going way out of his comfort zone. He's leaving tomorrow to begin his new job in Japan, teaching school to little Japanese kids. It's a one-year gig. He's fresh out of college, speaks no Japanese, and has never visited Asia. He's going alone: no family, no friends.

incognito Cut-out Phil

Good luck, Phil! We'll miss you. You're a big winner and an inspiration.