African Garden + work

Passiflora Tendril: Photo of the (last 2) Week(s)
Passiflora species

To quote Granny Weatherwax, "I ATE'NT DEAD" [sic], I've just been rather busy with back-to-school stuff and an inability to adapt to the earlier school schedule. (Hello, sleep deprivation.) I swear, this is the first year I've ever not looked forward to the resumption of classes. Contrary to expectations, I'm having a harder time getting up early these days.
But enough about that, let's admire the Passiflora tendril I spied at the Chicago Botanic Garden two weeks ago. (If you want to see it for yourself, it's in the English Walled Garden.) Bicycle Man and I and the two kids made a family outing of it. This is the first time we've gone when the kids didn't ride in a stroller or wagon, it's been that long. There are two reasons for that: number one, there has always been road construction on Lake Cook Road, which is where the entrance to the garden is and is the only practical way to get there from here; number two, the kids were adamantly not interested. What's different this year is that, amazingly, there is no road construction on Lake Cook. More importantly, the girl said she wanted to go when she heard me mention that the garden was hosting a Japanese festival. This girl is all about everything Japanese from her ranging Manga and Anime obsession. We forced the boy to leave the computer and join us. Surprisingly, a good time was had by all. Even more astounding, the boy likes animal topiary. Who'd have thought?
I don't know what is in the works for us at Casa Squirrelhaven this holiday weekend. Whatever you're doing, take some time to just sit and enjoy the garden for a spell. Happy Labor Day!