African Garden + water

The "Four Ws" of Veggie Gardening

"'To grow healthy vegetables, keep in mind the four Ws: Watering, weeding, and waiting.'
'That's only three,' said Chip.
'Whatever,' said Farmer Chundo.
'Oh,' said Chip. 'Watering, weeding, waiting, and whatever
.'"

I learned the four Ws not from any garden book or magazine article. Nope, the quote is from a great kids' picture book from the photographer/Weimarainer lover, William Wegman, "Farm Days."

I find myself thinking of the four Ws often at this time of year. I'm waiting for my Bell Peppers to ripen. It seems like I've been waiting for a long time. Growing veggies in a container means more of the first W, watering, than of the second, weeding. But whether the plants are growing in pots or in the ground, there's more of the third W than anything else. (I think the fourth W includes stuff like pest control.) It won't be long now, though. The days are growing shorter and harvest time is nearly here.