African Garden + work

Blogger's Bloom Day September*

* These blooms were produced without pesticides, herbicides, or synthetic fertilizers. Results not typical. Your blooming may vary. Blooms not available in all areas. No actual animals were harmed in the making of this blog. A few ants might have been inadvertently squished. Several mosquitos were deliberately terminated, however, but that was in self-defense.

Things still in bloom from last month are Phlox 'David,' 'David's Lavender,' and 'Laura' seen here with Lobelia 'Monet Moment' and Geranium 'Rozanne.'

Behind this grouping are two large clumps of Anemone 'Andrea Atkinson,' which started blooming in August.
Also still blooming is Campanula 'Samantha.'

Here's a new grouping this year that I think works

These are Lobelias 'Monet Moment' and 'Sparkle DeVine' with Echinacea purpurea.
Both Tricyrtis 'Gilt Edge' and 'Tojen' are still blooming. Tojen is a big, bold thing.

The Lamium maculatums have been blooming off and on since April. Here's a pink one with Ceratostigma plumaginoides.

Geranium nodosum 'Svelte Lilac' is the longest blooming plant in the garden.

I have it in several places around the garden. Here it is with Phlox 'Natasha.'
This is Clematis 'Cezanne,' reblooming. Looks like the earwigs chomped on it.

Newly blooming, and for the first time, Actea/Cimicifuga 'Black Negligee,' the only one of 5 plants to bloom.

Also in the photo are Lobelia syphilitica and a sedum-thingy that came with the house. I know there's a joke in there somewhere with 'Black Negligee' and L. syphilitica, but I'm not going to go there.
It amazes me how good plastic pots can look.

Behind it is the double pink Anemone 'Party Dress,' looking like it's had too much to drink. In a terracotta pot is the plant formerly known as Sedum 'Matrona,' with the munched on Malva Zebrina behind it.

This plant is a cutting I made this Spring to remove a reversion from 'Black Jack,' seen here with 'Tricolor' in another plastic pot.

It's Aster (or whatever the new name is) Time!
This is a volunteer that I suspect is a hybrid.

Here's an idea I stole from Gertrude Jekyll's book "Colour Schemes for the Flower Garden":

this is Bergenia cordifolia with the plant formerly known as Aster divaricatus sprawling over it. In the sunny front prairie-ish garden, New England Asters 'Harrington's Pink' and 'Hella Lacy' are just starting to bloom.

This is my favorite Aster, which used to be called laevis 'Bluebird.'

A close second is A./S. ericoides 'Snowflurry.'

Its neighbors are coneflowers and Solidago 'Fireworks.' In the back border, 'Fireworks' is teamed with Phlox 'Nicky' and an Aster, whose name eludes me, that I got from the now-defunct Heronswood nursery.

Colchicum 'The Giant' is in bloom, but since I just did a post on it, I thought I'd skip a photo here. Heptacodium miconiodes is still in bloom and it is starting to display its calyxes. It is such a great plant that I've decided to devote a separate post to it.
Edit - I forgot to list that the labrador violet is reblooming a bit. I also failed to mention that Bloom Day is the brain child of Carol of May Dreams Gardens.