African Garden + time

I'm Hijacking This Post to Cuba

Cuba Marsh that is, for the Fall Color Project, brought to you by Dave of The Home Garden. I was going to take photos of the same things I did last year for a color comparison, but the path along Baker's Lake was closed and I was able to get only this photo.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make a good comparison with last year's photo here, as that one was taken a week later and apparently past peak of color. I think this time I got it on time, but it's hard to tell when the color is as pathetic as it is this year. So this morning I went in search of color to Cuba Marsh, where I managed to find some.

Sunny days have been few and far between this October, which is why the color isn't as vibrant as last year. Highs in the 40s haven't helped either. Today was an anomaly: sunny and nearly 70F/21C.

This trail winds around to the boardwalk over the marsh.

Out on the Marsh itself:

Not a complete washout:

After my walk at Cuba Marsh, I needed to stop off at the library, where I found this.

Better than anything in Cuba Marsh.
Back at Squirrelhaven, the best color is from the Pagoda Dogwoods (Cornus alternifolia).

With color like this, why did I bother to go looking for it?

'Black Beauty' Lilies

The evil Burning Bush Euonymous alatus, with the red foliage of Geranium maculatum

The purple foliage is Cotinus coggygria 'Nordine,' and the yellow-orange on the right is Porteranthes/Gillenia trifoliata

Even the Magnolia has turned

'Prairiefire' Crabapple
There's no place like home, there's no place like home...

Physocarpus opulifolius 'Monlo' (Diablo) with Cotinus coggygria 'Ancot' (Golden Spirit)And that's as good as it gets.