African Garden + time

October Crept In
Cornus alternifolia 'W. Stackman' (Golden Shadows™)

There was no frost this morning, despite last night's advisories. Each day of October without frost is gift to the garden. It's also a reprieve for the gardener; I haven't potted up and brought in the duranta. The fuschia is still sitting out in the garden, but it's back in full bloom, enjoying the cooler weather. I guess I'll just have to start schlepping it in and out now. Nearly everything that has to go in the ground is now in the ground, although I picked up another Hosta 'Blue Mouse Ears' on deep discount today. I'll find a home for it somewhere. There is only one plant left still to bloom here at Squirrelhaven, the Korean mum.

It seems like I have less and less time to spend in the garden these days, even as the garden chores pile up. At least I can enjoy the beauty of the colors of the fall garden as I glance out the window, or pull into the garage.

Geranium maculatum and Maianthemum racemosum (Smilacina racemosa) showing fall color

The foliage of the 'Cobra' Lily has turned yellow, the first of all the lilies here.

'Cobra' Lily with Twist-n-Shout hydrangea

Sorry, I just can't resist one more cabbage shot.

Soon my bulbs will arrive, and then the fun really begins.