African Garden + time

Fleeting Beauty

Chicagoland enjoyed Indian Summer this week, with highs in the 70s (20s C) for the first half of the week. I spent my outdoor time staining the fence. I decided I wanted to protect the fence so that it would last longer and delay the return of clumsy alien feet entering my garden to replace it. I'm pleased with the result.

It shows off the magnificent color of the Cornus alternifolia, which is now blown. Things seem to reach a peak of incandescence and then rapidly lose all those beautiful leaves, which scatter like gems across the lawn and garden. The Crabapple looked like this a few days ago.

Now, only a few leaves remain.
I've enjoyed watching the Calycanthus floridus gradually turn gold while the Phlox 'Nicky' in front of it spits out the last few blooms.

The sight of it cheers me up every time I look out my kitchen window. It's still in full color, as are the Yellowwood (Cladrastis kentukea)

the Physocarpus opulifolius 'Monlo' (Diabolo),

and the baby Cornus kousa 'Beni Fuji.'

These three are out front, picking up from the Magnolia, which is now completely leafless. This Gillenia seemed to glow from the inside before the fire went out,

leaving it dull and brown now. I'm glad I got a shot of these lilies before they turned brown.

The Hosta near them had already had their moment in the spotlight and had started to shrivel. Most of these photos were taken on warm, sunny afternoons. The weather has turned nasty now. The sky is gray and the temperature is 36 F (2.4C). There was snow mixed with the rain yesterday and more snow is expected today. My motto for autumn truly is carpe diem (seize the day).