African Garden + time

Three Sad Things For Thursday*

The empty pots reproach me, reminding me of the plants that once lived in them. The plants I failed to get into the ground in time. The plants that died. What can I say? It was a long, hot summer, bad for planting anything. Then, by the time the rains returned, these four were dead. I will empty them of the potting soil and stack them with the pots in the garage.

It probably wouldn't have mattered had I planted them. The squirrels have surpassed themselves for evil deeds this fall.

They're gathering and plotting in the neighbor's yard across the street.

They've repeatedly dug up three columbines I planted this fall, as well as several other plants installed months ago. They have also dug up and eaten all of the 'Purple Prince' lilies I planted a few weeks ago.

The killing frost/freeze has come to Squirrelhaven.

Alchemilla alpina

No more peppers, no more South African foxglove. It's not that sad, as there are still plenty of things blooming, including a couple of Geraniums, Clematis 'Rhapsody,' the Korean mum, some asters and ex-asters, and the monkshood. Frankly, I'll be relieved when the ground freezes solid so the bushy-tailed miscreants can't dig up anything else.

*Three for Thursday was created by Cindy of From My Corner Katy.