African Garden + OOTS

A Festive December Out On the Streets

VP, of Veg Plotting, has asked for festive photos Out On the Streets (OOTS), including one of the municipal Christmas tree. My town has two. This is the official one, complete with handmade ornaments. It looks like a real one to me. I find appalling the lack of bad taste in the local Christmas decorations. Not an inflatable snowman in sight, only tasteful containers outside businesses,

and greenery all around.

Here's a the flashiest bit I found.

I suppose the garlands are lit with tiny white lights at night, to match the lights on the streetlamp post containers.

No flashing neon lights, no Santa on the roof.

The resale shop is so subtle, it's nearly underwhelming.

There used to be a creche by the gazebo at the corner of Main Street,

but there is only a tree this year, and ribbons and lights. I wonder if they got tired of having baby Jesus stolen out of it every year. They always managed to get him back.
Even the residential decorations around here get no gaudier than lighted wire reindeer and polar bear figures. One must travel to Palatine and Arlington Heights to see truly entertaining Christmas displays. The updated edition of Mary Edsey's "The Best Christmas Decorations in Chicagoland" is out now, with photos and directions to see some truly awe-inspiring displays, including one in South Barrington with lights synchronized to music. I'm sure it's very tasteful. I hope to get out some evening to take photos of some residences, they really need to be seen after dark.