African Garden + winter

December Bloom Day - Taking It Inside

It's the 15th of the month, Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, the day when Carol, of May Dreams Gardens, asks us to show what we having blooming. She's very lenient, allowing anything flowered related, which is great because there's nothing going on outside in my garden but snow, frost, and cold. But inside, the picture is improving, now that I am trying to be more attentive to watering. Even with benign neglect, the purple-leafed oxalis Oxalis regnellii (or is is Oxalis triangularis), looks terrific. What an obliging little plant. What started out as an annual purchased for a container in the spring of 2009 has become four good-sized plants. One is outside in the ground, having survived last winter under snow in a warm microclimate, two are indoors here, and one I gave to my neighbor, who admired a pot of it on my potting bench all summer. This one has three bloom stalks. It's grown for the foliage, but I like the sweet simplicity of the pink-blushed flowers.

I was waiting, hoping that the fuschia would be in bloom today.

The fuschia isn't as forgiving of my bad watering practices, and has rallied under the renewed attention. That bottom bud will probably pop open tomorrow.