African Garden + work

This Week at Squirrelhaven
Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic'

Gentle reader: Our thoughts are preoccupied with the disaster in Japan, as my nephew Phil is working there in Sendai, the city closest to the epicenter of the quakes. The city is without power or internet service. Early this morning, Phil managed to call my sister on a co-worker's phone (I guess his can't get any service). He and the other teachers are staying at the school where there's a generator. He's fine, the school and his apartment are luckily in a small pocket that's been less damaged than areas to the north and south in the city. We don't know much more than that, as the phone connection was poor and the connection was severed. Phil reported on his Facebook page that the nuclear plant exploded around 8:30 a.m. Central Time. He may have to be evacuated. We're worried about lack of power and water. We thank God that Phil is okay for now, and I ask for your prayers for him and the people of Sendai in this difficult time. If you're not into the prayer thing, you can help by donating to the Red Cross or one of the relief funds set up.

Here in Chicagoland, spring continues its steady advance. Only a few small piles of snow remain out front and all the snow is gone from the back garden, where more things are sprouting.

Caulophyllum thalictroides
Allium 'Purple Sensation'

I started pruning the Clematis and I cut back more of the hellebores. Not a moment too soon there.

Woody plants are budding.

Paeonia suffruticosa

I was tickled to see signs of life in the tree peony and the hazel (top photo).

While walking home from school, the girl spotted a great egret flying overhead, so it won't be long before I start seeing them at the pond. The middle of it is still frozen. I did see some Canada geese.

Bad tempered as usual.

This week's squirrel atrocity:

dug up Thalictrum/Anemonella thalictroides.


P.S. I nearly cut in half the first worm of spring. It's good to see worms again.