African Garden + water

Catching Up With...
Barbara Wetzel's prairie, Barrington Hills, IL

Dear gardening friends,

It feels as if I've hardly been home this past month, between feisanna (Irish dance competitions) weekends in Milwaukee, the Fling in Seattle, and a waterpark family vacation in Gurnee, Illinois. I'm trying to catch my breath before heading to Indianapolis for the Garden Writers' symposium. On Friday, Helen Yoest, of Gardening with Confidence, made the trek to Squirrelhaven to see me, and then I took her to see the garden of Barbara Wetzel, which I visited with the girl back in May. I wanted to see Barbara's prairie in full bloom, but mostly I just wanted Helen to see it. It was a wonderful visit, which I will elaborate on in another post. Right now, I'm squishing Japanese beetles, pulling weeds, and making a headband to go with the girl's Irish dance solo dress, which she will wear for the first time next weekend. Shopping for school supplies is also on the agenda for this week. Busy, exciting times here. I hope summer is treating you well.

Happy gardening,

Mr. McGregor's Daughter

P.S. Here's my first post at Native Plants & Wildlife Gardens, on my Asclepias purpurascens.