African Garden + Tricyrtis Tojen

News Flash- Hummingbirds Visit Tricyrtis
ruby-throated hummingbird visiting Tricyrtis 'Tojen'

Who knew hummingbirds visited toadlilies (Tricyrtis)? I sure didn't, until I saw a hummingbird zipping around mine. This wasn’t a rare, freak occurrence; I witnessed this visitation several times over the course of several days. A hummingbird sipped from the other two Tricyrtis I grow, 'Gilty Pleasure'

Sorry, no hummer in this shot, the little buggers move too fast.

and 'Gilt Edge',

Tricyrtis 'Gilt Edge' growing in the midst of native Lobelia syphilitica

in addition to 'Tojen', pictured at top. I also know this isn't a freak hummingbird, as I found images on a hummingbird forum of a hummingbird visiting Tricyrtis hirta.

Tricyrtis are great shade garden plants, preferring partial to full shade in zones 4 to 9, depending on the species. According to most sources, Tricyrtis needs moist, but well-drained soil. I'm not so sure about the moist, as my soil is definitely not, tending to be a bit too well drained. I have killed T. 'Hatatogisu', so it may depend on the species or cultivar. 'Tojen' is a monster plant in my garden, reaching four feet in height and nearly that in girth, while the others top out around two feet tall and wide. Once they get growing, they are pretty much carefree plants, although a bit of slug repellent might be helpful when they start sprouting in spring. In my Midwestern zone 5 garden, they bloom from the end of July to the beginning of November.

Plant some Tricyrtis if you want to see hummingbirds in your garden. If you already grow them, keep an eye on them when you're out in the garden, and keep your camera handy.