African Garden + trellis

The Year of Living Structurally

This is what the Woodland garden looked like last Autumn. It was too open, too exposed. All of it could be seen at once. It needed some sort of enclosure, some screening to add a sense of mystery to it. Over the Winter, I read a book about adding structure to the garden and realized that was what was missing. First, I bought two trellises to add screening. Then I ordered an arbor. It was on sale and took only a couple of hours to put together. I did most of it myself, but I needed help putting the top slats on (I am too short to reach). Here's what the Woodland looks like now:

There is a Clematis planted on one trellis already, and I have to move a very large Clematis 'Henryi' to go on the far trellis. Once these plants mature, they will hopefully provide green screening.
A comparison of these photos also demonstrates the effect of vast quantities of August rainfall on the growth of Anemone 'Andrea Atkinson.'