African Garden + Tulip Fats Domino

Bulbs & an Announcement

The bulbs are blooming here at Squirrelhaven, and not just indoors like the 'Fats Domino' tulips that were forced. The first of the crocuses has sprouted and is blooming outside.

Crocus 'Princess Beatrix'

I guess you could call my first experiment with growing bulbs in a container a success.

I planted up two containers in the garage, to be brought outside at bloom time. The Iris reticulata 'Pixie' are ahead of their counterparts out in the garden, but not by that much. I think there are also tulips in there and possibly crocuses. A fun surprise is the good thing about failing to keep accurate records. The containers will be moved out to the patio today.

And now, the big news: my first solo art photography exhibition, "In the Garden of Live Flowers," will be on display at the Barrington library from April 6 through May 26. On May 14, I will be giving a presentation at the library about the exhibition. For the past month, I've been immersed in getting the images ready, including figuring out QR codes to go with some of them. I intend to set up a web page for a gallery of the images. With luck, I might be able to sell a few.

Happy Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, and Paczki Day!