African Garden + work

The Elusive Egret

One of the things that made me decide to move to Squirrelhaven 15 years ago is the large retention pond behind the backyard. In addition to frogs, ducks and Canadian Geese, it also hosts the occasional Great Blue Heron or Great Egret. This spring, a Great Egret has been hanging around the pond fishing. I'm assuming it's the same Egret, but, at the risk of sounding like a bigot, I must admit they all look alike to me.

I can sit in the house for an hour watching the Egret fish, but when I open the patio door to go outside for a closer look, it leaves. If I'm already out in the garden when it comes to the pond, it tolerates my presence, but pull out a camera and, yes, it leaves.

Recently, I was working out in the garden when I noticed the Egret walking on the bank towards my side of the pond. I quickly dashed into the house, grabbed my camera and slipped out the front door. The plan was to sneak up on the Egret. When I opened the gate, I saw that the Egret was poised (posed?) at the top of the bank just behind the fence. By the time I snapped a shot, it had turned its head.

I waited for it to turn back. When it did, this is what I got.

Yes, it's sad but true, I've turned into a wading bird paparazza.

(Fleeing Great Blue Heron.)