African Garden + time

Sweet Relief for an Aching Back: a Special Edition OOTS

I don't like to post about my health, but a little background is necessary for this post. A few weeks ago, I hurt my back. I wasn't doing anything really unusual, but the pain was sharp, intense, intermittent, and persistent. Finally, after being woken in the middle of the night by pain, I decided to seek professional help.
My father and my sister have both been helped by the same chiropractor. My sister's recovery is the most dramatic. She was injured in a car accident. She was in constant pain so debilitating that she was forced to quit her job. Following chiropractic treatment, she's the assistant manager of a very busy store. That's enough evidence for me, so I made an appointment with Dr. Garrett.
Pulling into the parking lot, I was delighted with the planting there. It's truly a garden, rather than commercial landscaping. No 'Stella D'Oro' daylilies or Knockout roses here.

Yes, that's a Tree Peony.

Turns out, the doctor is a gardener. I've been going for daily adjustments, which is made much less onerous by seeing Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate' on my way in the door.

I also love the Japanese Maple. Around the corner is a neat little conifer with a pink Rhododendron (Azalea?).

Across from the entrance is a little shade garden with a bench.

Note the weight used to shape this shrub.

Around the corner, by the driveway is this neat combo, a Magnolia and a Euonymous.

Across the driveway is a long berm with Roses, Clematis and something spiky.

Here's a view from the other direction.

Beneath a tree are more Roses and Weigela.

My back is already feeling much better, although I'm still icing it.

* * * I've been thin on the virtual ground recently, with end of the school year stuff and Irish dance competitions, including an overnight stay in Madison, Wisconsin, for a feis last weekend. School is now out for summer, which means I'm going to be even busier doing things with and for the kids. Next week starts the daily grind of getting the boy over to his baseball league and hanging around on uncomfortable bleachers and lawnchairs until he is done for the day. Then, when we're home, I'll have to share the laptop with them as our netbook is toast. And then there are all those plants I just bought at The Flower Factory on the way home from Madison. All of which means I'll have even less time for blogging until fall. Shorter posts will be in order, and I'll try to visit as many blogs as I can. Until then, happy gardening!