African Garden + work

Ennui's Got Me or I am Half-sick of Summer

... or I see Dead Plants.

Abies koreana 'Cis' showing serious drought damage.

My mojo ain't working, and my get up and go got up and went. I've tried to keep a positive outlook about the drought, trying to find the good in the sad state of the garden. I have never been accused of being a Pollyana, and I seem to suffer the Summertime Blues every year about this time, but this year, it's a particularly severe case. I haven't set foot in a garden center in over a month, and that was to buy potting soil to top up containers the squirrels and chipmunks dug out. I know, I know, shut up and quit whining, there are others who have it worse. (That's another reason I've tried to look for and present the positives. No one likes a whiner.) Aside from the drought and the heat (6 degrees above normal for the month of July), there's the issue of things having come on too early, so that plants I would have been watching come into bloom now are on their way out. Then there are the dead birds that keep turning up in the yard. Some how, I'm the only one around here who sees them. (I'm feeling a lot like Haley Joel Osment's character in The Sixth Sense.) At least bicycle man disposes of the corpses once I point them out.

Am I the only who feels this way this year? Every year? Or is it just me?