African Garden + time

Three for Thursday: Outstanding Hostas

Welcome to Three for Thursday, the anything goes as long as there's three meme created by Cindy of From My Corner of Katy. This week, I'm looking at the best Hostas of Squirrelhaven.

This is the ideal time to evaluate Hostas, at the end of summer, when the shade garden is at its nadir, when the ravages of slugs, hail, deluge and drought have done their worst (note the fried Polyganatum in the background). These photos are not retouched, and I did only a tiny bit of deadleafing on Hosta 'June' (above). I haven't used any slug bait or in any way protected these plants. June has sustained virtually no damage to the leaves except for that inflicted by the mower and my feet.

For bigger and variegated foliar beauty, there's Hosta 'Olive Bailey Langdon,'

an improved 'Francis Williams.' I have not deadleafed this plant. There is minimal discoloration to parts of some of the leaves.

Nor have I deadleafed a solid, large performer, 'Krossa Regal'.

The blue cast to the leaves has long since washed off, but it still has a quality presence in the garden. Based on these Hostas performance this year, I conclude that slug-resistant Hostas are also more hail-resistant than other Hostas. If you want good, easy to maintain Hostas, give any or all of these three a try.

* * *I'm guest posting today on Garden Rant about Independent Garden centers.